The following was adopted as a structure for the collection of, storage of, and display of data related to non-comics-style advertising:
- Firstly, that there be multiple options for how to view advertising sequences: full view, compressed, and hidden. Each state should have a readily available option to change to either of the others. Also, when using "hidden," there should be a message indicating there are hidden advertising sequences.
- Secondly, that there be the creation of an "advertising object" similar to the feature objects we are currently using. The cataloger would select "add new" from the "Editing" menu and would then select "add advertisement." This would lead to form that would allow the following fields to be filled, with an asterisk (*) indicating the required fields.
- title or first line*
- sequence type (automatically filled with advertisement)
- product name*
- company name
- company address
- job or tracking number
- page count
- After filling in the fields, the cataloger would then have the two options of "submit new advertisement" or "cancel," just we do now for features. Submission and approval creates a new "advertising object."
- The object "library" would be accessed after a cataloger presses the "add sequence button." Then, in addition to the usual field for editing, there would be an "insert advertisement" button that would bring up the autofill options from the advertisement library. The cataloger would select an advertising object, based on the advertisement title or first line. On selection, the following fields would be auto-filled with the information from the object:
- title or first line
- sequence type
- product name
- company name
- company address
- job or tracking number (this field will not be filled, requiring the cataloger to fill the field from the advertisement being # # cataloged or marked as "no number")
- page count (this field will not be filled, requiring the cataloger to fill the field from the advertisement being cataloged)
- Once filled, the advertising sequence is then treated like any other sequence with the "save and continue editing," "save and return to changeset," and the" "return to changeset without saving" buttons.
- On issue display pages, when advertising is visible and expanded, because many of the fields will not be filled in for many, many advertising sequences, empty fields should be hidden as default, with a note indicating which fields are not being used. If a cataloger wishes to add data to those fields, they will need to edit the "advertising object," as above. Putting data in those fields (and getting said submission approved) should automatically cause those fields to no longer be hidden in the visible, expanded display.
- It is strongly recommended that in a regular credits or character search, that the results from advertising sequences not be included unless specifically requested by the user. It is also strongly recommended that users be able to search ONLY the advertising sequences, if they so desire, from the regular search.
(end of definition)
Policy Votes Affecting This Topic
https://www.comics.org/voting/ballot/418/ - 2020-09-27
Back to the Type