Select Magazines Inc.
Years of Operation
Years of Comic Book Distribution
- Main Office (1947-1948)
- 229 Fourth Avenue
- New York, NY 3
S-M News Co. S-M News Company S.M. News Company
- Founded in 1919 by Popular Science Publishing and McCall Corp to challenge ANCs national distribution monopoly. Later, 4 other publishers joined as members/owners. As ANC collapsed in 1955, they brought on other publishers as customers. One of which was Time Inc. magazines [Time, Life, Fortune, Sports Illustrated]. Time came on as a publisher-owner in Jun 1955.
- Jointly owned by publishers to get their magazines to newsstands
- One of the first publisher-owned national distributors of magazines to newsstands.
- In 1929, they began to distributed Readers Digest.
- In 1956 S-M News changes their name to Select Magazines.
- In Sept 1985, John O'Reilly buys the company from Meredith Corp., Times Mirror and McCalls.
- May 1989, Select goes bankrupt.
Comic Book Publications Distributed
- New Comics (1936) #2- 8 (#1?)
- New Fun Comics (1935)
- Police Comics #48 (?) - 79 (June 1948)
In 1955 S-M distributed through 750 local wholesalers.
(end of information)
Back to Comic Book Distribution