A universe, also called shared universe, is used to reflect the overall milieu created by a comic book publisher in which characters, events, and features from one publication appear in other publications.
- We will only use universes that are made public as being a universe by the publisher. If existing, the corresponding name for the universe from the publisher will be used. This in particular also means that no fan-deduced universes will be used in our database. Exceptions are the mainstream universe and the 'unspecified' universe for multi-universe scenarios.
- A universe for the superhero universe from DC and Marvel will be added, respectively. Other universes will be decided separately.
- We will use a mainstream universe per multi-universe concept as the default universe. If a story is set to take place in a universe, it is in the mainstream universe, unless a different universe is specified in the story, or can be determined from sources released by the story's publisher.
- If a character appearing in a story is set to originate from a universe, it is the mainstream universe, unless a different universe is specified in the story, or can be determined from sources released by the story's publisher.
- Besides the mainstream universe, we will be using specific universes as introduced by the publisher, e.g. Ultimate Marvel Universe / Earth-1610, or Earth Two from DC.
- For Marvel's universe with features such as Spider-Man, Avengers, Iron Man, Hulk, X-Men, etc., this implies that characters from the 60s will be the same as the corresponding characters from the current mainstream Marvel universe, commonly designated as Marvel 616. For example, there is one Spider-Man [Peter Parker] mainstream character record for both. Further, characters from Marvel 616 in the future will be considered to be from the mainstream universe, unless it is determined otherwise
(end of definition)
Policy Votes Affecting This Topic
https://www.comics.org/voting/ballot/488/ - 2022-06-29
https://www.comics.org/voting/ballot/480/ - 2022-04-13
https://www.comics.org/voting/ballot/477/ - 2022-04-06
https://www.comics.org/voting/ballot/471/ - 2022-02-05
Back to the Formatting Documentation