About the GCD
|The Grand Comics Database (GCD) is a nonprofit, Internet-based organization of international volunteers dedicated to building a database covering all printed comics throughout the world. Learn more about the GCD through these articles. If you still have questions, send us an email at GCD Contact List. We look forward to hearing from you.
||In the News
Information on Indexing
The primary way to contribute is to become an Indexer and add data for comics or upload cover scans we don't yet have. Here are some links to get started!
Still looking for more to do? Help the GCD by cleaning up our database through any one of our Special Projects!
Entering data into the GCD must follow guidelines established by the gcd-policy list. Those rules can be found in the Formatting Documentation which is updated regularly.
Adding to the GCD
The following links will walk Indexers through adding new content to he GCD.
There are several resources to help indexers.
- Glossary of Common Terms
- Jerry Bails' Who's Who (No longer updated, but invaluable!)
- Until the updatable Who's Who is developed, please store corrections on our People page.
- Examples of GA artists' work
- Other Useful Resources and Links
- User's Guide to Publishers
- Variant Characters (alternate Earths, Timelines, etc.) (the best explanation if you want to know why a given index does or does not mention that the character is in some way a variation on another character)
Indexers may eventually become editors, who review the work of Indexers and the incoming error reports and make corrections to existing data.
GCD Organizational Structure
We are currently heavily involved in improving our new web-site for the GCD. The links in this section outline some of the changes going on. If you would like to help, please contact the gcd-tech group and see what you can do to help.
Other On-Going Efforts
Other GCD Files & Information
- GCD Alter Ego ad from 2014
- GCD Community pages, with GCD history, logos, charter, press mentions, etc.
- GCD Convention appearance schedule