About the GCD
|The Grand Comics Database™ (GCD) is a nonprofit, Internet-based organization of international volunteers dedicated to building a database covering all printed comics throughout the world. Learn more about the GCD through these articles. If you still have questions, send us an email at GCD Contact List. We look forward to hearing from you.
Information on Indexing
The primary way to contribute is to become an Indexer and add data for comics or upload cover scans we don't yet have. Here are some links to get started!
Still looking for more to do? Help the GCD by cleaning up our database through any one of our Special Projects!
Entering data into the GCD must follow guidelines established by the gcd-policy list. Those rules can be found in the Formatting Documentation which is updated regularly.
Adding to the GCD
The following links will walk Indexers through adding new content to he GCD.
There are several resources to help indexers.
- Glossary of Common Terms
- Jerry Bails' Who's Who (No longer updated, but invaluable!)
- Until the updatable Who's Who is developed, please store corrections on our People page.
- Examples of GA artists' work
- Other Useful Resources and Links
- User's Guide to Publishers
- Variant Characters (alternate Earths, Timelines, etc.) (the best explanation if you want to know why a given index does or does not mention that the character is in some way a variation on another character)
Indexers may eventually become editors, who review the work of Indexers and the incoming error reports and make corrections to existing data.
GCD Organizational Structure
We are currently heavily involved in improving our new web-site for the GCD. The links in this section outline some of the changes going on. If you would like to help, please contact the gcd-tech group and see what you can do to help.
Other On-Going Efforts
Press Releases and Media Mentions
Links to mentions of the Grand Comics Database in the press and other media.
- Credit Where Credit Is Due, by Will Alred, June 4, 1999
- "Comic Book Resources on the Web", by David S. Serchay, article in Library Journal, October 1, 1999
- GCD Press Release about adopting a charter and electing its first Board of Directors, by Ray Bottorff Jr, December 9, 2000
- GCD Press Release about beginning online indexing, by Ray Bottorff Jr, November 11, 2002
- Grand Comics Database entry in Wikipedia, first created by Donald Dale Milne, January 26, 2006
- GCD Press Release about indexing the 100,000th comic, December 25, 2006
- Using Graphic Novels in the High School Classroom: Engaging Deaf Students With a New Genre, by Linda Smetana, Darah Odelson, Heidi Burns, and Dana L. Grisham in the Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy 53(3), November 20, 2009 (mentioned as a classroom resource)
- GCD Press Release about its 300,000th comic book cover scan, October 18, 2010
- Comics Superhero Has Local Ties, by Andrew McGinn, January 12, 2012
- Comic Book Resources (brief mention by Paul Levitz, November 26, 2012)
- "Information Resources In The Humanities and The Arts, 6th edition", by Elizabeth S. Aversa; Anna H. Perrault; Cynthia Miller; Sonia Ramirez Wohlmuth, published by Libraries Unlimited, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2013 (mentioned as a classroom resource on page 153)
- The Image and Role of the Librarian, by Linda S Katz, October 14, 2013
- George & Tony Entertainment podcast about Awesome Con DC convention, April, 2014 (scroll to Episode 13)
- GCD Press Release about reaching our 1,000,000th issue, September 16, 2014
- "Jubiläum: 20 Jahre GCD", by Jochen Garcke, article in Alfonz #04/2014, about the 20th anniversary of the GCD, October, 2014
- "Comics through Time: A History of Icons, Idols, and Ideas", edited by M. Keith Booker, published by Greenwood, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2014 (mentioned as a resource)
- A Database for Comics (and How to Get Comics for Free), by Kirk House, April 25, 2015
- It's a Bird! It's a Plane! It's -- Curtiss!, by Kirk House, August 10, 2015
- "Gottfredson’s Illegitimate Heirs: Tezuka Osamu and the Great Wall of 1945", by Ryan Holmberg in a column at The Comics Journal, October 19, 2015 (mentioned as a data source, and Ray Bottorff Jr. is credited with a research assist)
Other GCD Files & Information
- GCD Alter Ego ad from 2014
- GCD Community pages, with GCD history, logos, charter, press mentions, etc.
- GCD Convention appearance schedule
- Miscellaneous Info